Friday, April 20, 2007

More Playoff Observations

While I haven't faithfully watched every second of every game, that doesn't mean I can't put on my Captain Obvious superhero suit and say a few things:

  1. I'm not surprised in the least that Calgary tied up the Red Wings. I pointed out that Calgary had the most home wins in the NHL. All they need to do is to win a game in Detroit and the Wings will be in serious trouble. After all the accolades they got in winning Games 1 & 2 in Detroit, the noose has to be tightening around the Wings neck right now. Can Calgary overcome their road troubles and win a game is the only question.
  2. Wow, whodda thunk that the Thrashers would lay such an egg in the playoffs? The Thrashers loaded up at the deadline to make the playoffs and didn't get a single win. To make matters worse, the Thrashers have 12 UFA's now to deal with. Kozlov, Tkachuk, Mellanby, Boulton, Belanger, De Vries, Sutton, just to name a few. I think it is safe to say we're going to be seeing some overhauling going on in Blueland this summer.
  3. Early on that pick of Calgary over Detroit didn't look too good, but I showed you why I went in the direction that I did. However, I did flame out on two picks last night as the Penguin Scum and Wild were eliminated. For the Penguin Scum, much is being made of only the Canadian Diving Team Captain, Secondary Assist Cindy Crosby, and Jordan Staal actually coming to play in the series. Tough to argue with that when I didn't watch much of that series but I will take note of the Penguin Scum's 4-28 Power Play performance which includes 0-15 in games 3, 4, and 5. The only game that the Penguin Scum got fewer Power Play opportunities than Ottawa was the only game they won, Game 2. Ottawa was 6 for 24 on the Power Play for the series and scored at least one Power Play goal in every game. The Penguin Scum were given plenty of chances on the Power Play and just simply did not take advantage of them, especially with two 5-on-3's in the first period last night.
  4. The Wild however looked rather ordinary and Anaheim looked downright dangerous. Though I can do without the stupid goonery and cheapshotting that series brought towards the end. Luckily for the NHL, these games were buried by more marquee matchups so the nonsense can get buried. But then again, it is just "business as usual" in the NHL.

While now is certainly too late to change any of my picks for the first round, only the Flames pick has me even slightly worried. The Buffaslugs should finish off the Islanders tonight. I don't think Nashville will come all the back on San Jose, Vancouver will also eventually get rid of Dallas, but Tampa Bay-New Jersey is going to go to the wire.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home