Caps vs. Red Wings 1-19-2010 Post-Mortem
Had 'em right where we wanted 'em... Onto the Battle Damage Assessment...
- Matt "Omar" Bradley got things going tonight with just his eighth goal of the season and second on Chris Osgood.
- Niklas Backstrom, like most of the top line, was being doubled and tripled team all night and when he finally drew single coverage, he undressed his defender to score the game tying goal on the Power Play.
- Ok, who still wants to run Jose "Alvin, Simon," Theodore out of town? Jose comes up with probably the best performance by a Caps goaltender this season. 44 saves and an assist on the game tying goal.
- Bruce Boudreau went to the whip to start the third period and it initially backfired as Alexander "Slappy" Semin had an ugly turnover at the Caps blueline which led to Detroit's second goal.
- How's that Tomas Fleischmann at center working out? 2-7 for 22% on faceoffs tonight. It was very telling that Boudreau sent David "Bolt Cutter" Steckel out with the second line late in the third period to take a defensive zone draw. Steckel was 10-8 tonight in the faceoff circle, the best of the regular centers tonight.
- Mike Knuble took two penalties tonight both in the offensive zone and one late in the game.
- It is one thing to get outshot in a game or a period. But to take over 14 minutes to get your first shot on goal for the game is, well, a problem. Not the kind of start that the Caps needed.
- We'd like to know what Henrik Zetterberg was complaining about at the end of the game tonight because from where we sat, the Red Wings got away with a lot more than the Caps did tonight from Dean Morton and Dan O'Rourke. Detroit had no reason to gripe.
It has been... A TWO POINT NIGHT!!!
Labels: 2009-2010 Post-Mortems