Caps vs. Buffaslugs 12-23-2009 Post-Mortem
We may have to rethink some things here... Onto the Battle Damage Assessment...
- Brendan Morrrissonn finally breaks his slump and atoned a bit for missing two wide open nets against Ryan Miller two weeks ago by finally getting the puck over an outstretched Miller. It turned out to be the game winner too.
- Nicklas Backstrom with two goals tonight and Alexander "Slappy" Semin notching two assists. Nobody can complain about the efforts or output of the first line tonight with a combined 7 points.
- And the other third of the top line, A.O. with a goal and two assists tonight, giving him 44 points on the season, 464 in his career, 10 points behind St. Calle Johansson for 7th on the Caps All-Time Scoring list, 7 goals away from 250 in his career.
- Mike "BEAM ME UP" Green with a goal and an assist but also a team high +2 on the night. As loyal and patriotic Americans, we hope he's left off of Team Canada.
- The Power Play finally got a chance and even a 51 second 5-on-3 Power Play and converted both Power Plays on only 2 shots. It doesn't get much better than that.
- Despite the Whats? playing their heated rivals from Harvard in front of a raucous 7,613 at noon today, the ice didn't look too terribly bad. We have two more of the Basketball-Hockey Doubleheaders to contend with.
- Slappy getting cross-checked in the head after getting knocked down in the crease with no call being made. Paul Devorski was one of the refs on Thanksgiving Eve when the Caps did not a single Power Play and for most of tonight, it looked as if history was going to repeat itself.
- After allowing just 4 shots on goal in the first period, the Caps gave up 20 in the second period alone.
- Well the sequence that led to the Buffaslugs first goal has us really scratching our heads. First there was Mike Knuble cherry knicking coming out of the penalty box. Then there was Brooks "and Dunn" Laich trying to lob him a pass from deep in his own zone which misfired. After the misfire, Knuble just went to the bench and didn't try to get back into a play that was heading back into the Caps zone. Then Tom Poti misplayed the resulting 2-on-1 allowing the cross-ice pass to get through. In spite of all of that, Michal "Bebe" Neuvirth was square to Paul Gaustad when he shot but still let the shot get through him and into the goal. We don't know exactly who to the blame but that whole thing is the John "Coach's Pet" Erskine Bowles Bonehead Play of the Game.
It has been... A TWO POINT NIGHT!!!
Labels: 2009-2010 Post-Mortems