Caps @ Oilers 12-19-2009 Post-Mortem
Who says you can't play just 20 minutes and win in the NHL??? Onto the Battle Damage Assessment...
- Michal "Bebe" Neuvirth with a very good game tonight. He made 26 saves tonight and looked much more comfortable in goal than he did one week ago. The two goals he allowed tonight were not his fault.
- 42 shots on goal, 18 of them in the third period alone, as the Caps got rubber at Jeff Deslauriers and made him earn his paycheck tonight which is what they needed to do.
- Oh, and there's that A.O. guy, igniting the comeback with two goals to tie the game up and then an assist to help put the game away. Just another night at the office for him.
- Everybody's favorite whipping boy, Jeff "Sergeant" Schultz with an ugly turnover and even uglier effort to recover, leading to Edmonton's first goal.
- Mark our words folks, Brendan Morrrissonn is going to botch a prime scoring chance in the playoffs that will kill us. This is going beyond a slump.
- The Power Play slump continues. 0 for 4 yet again and only 3 shots on goal with a 1:51 5-on-3 advantage that yielded just one shot on goal. Now grant you, there were plenty of blocked shots by Edmonton and the Caps applied great pressure on that 2 man advantage, but the results remain the same.
- As good as they were in the third period, the first line of A.O., Nicklas Backstrom, and Alexander "Slappy" Semin were downright awful in the first two periods. The second goal was caused by A.O. and Slappy blowing the defensive zone before the puck left (and as a matter of fact, nobody was in position to push the puck up to them, making their play all the more mind boggling. That's why it is tonight's John "Coach's Pet" Erskine Bowles Bonehead Play of the Game.) If it hadn't been for A.O.'s heroics in the third period, the trio would have been a combined -6 instead of a +3 as they were on the ice for 5 of the six goals scored in the game. In the first and second periods, they looked like they had never skated on a line together as there was zero chemistry from them.
It has been... A TWO POINT NIGHT!!!
Labels: 2009-2010 Post-Mortems