Caps vs. Penguin Scum 3-24-2010 Post-Mortem
Here we go again... Onto the Battle Damage Assessment...
- Alexander "Slappy" Semin with a shorthanded goal on an individual effort as pretty as you're ever going to see. It was his second shorty on the season and just the fourth for the Caps this season. The fact that it tied up the game at 2 in the third period was just icing on the cake.
- Mike Knuble doing what he does best, getting to the net and picking up garbage knoals. It kind of makes us wonder why he bothers shooting from distance. And let us stipulate that Bruce Boudreau looks like a genius for sending him out there in the gimmick. Had Knuble missed and the Caps lost, Boudreau would have been hounded for sending out a guy who had never scored a goal in the gimmick.
- Jose "Alvin, Simon," Theodore had an outstanding game again tonight. Not a whole lot he could do on the three goals he gave up and while you might want him to make a big save on the third goal late in the third period, he had just made some big saves in the sequence right before that one.
- Mike "BEAM ME UP" Green and Jeff "Sergeant" Schultz were +3 and +1 respectively. For Schultz, it was his first plus game in 8 games.
- So the Caps are now 7-1 when allowing more than 40 shots on goal. That's nothing to be proud of as the Caps were outshot tonight 42-32.
- Matt "Omar" Bradley and David "Bolt Cutter" Steckel were both a -2 tonight. The Bolt Cutter can at least lean on his faceoff ability (though he was 6-7 tonight) to stay in the lineup, Omar can't.
- The game was decided by a gimmick.
- We realized early on that Paul Devorski and Ian Walsh were calling tonight's game as if it were a playoff game and they certainly did. 5 Power Plays for the Penguin Scum versus only 1 for the Caps. We guess we should feel lucky that they didn't call it like a Game 7.
It has been... A TWO POINT NIGHT!!!
Labels: 2009-2010 Post-Mortems