Saturday, March 22, 2008

Caps @ Thrashers 3-21-2008 Wrap Up

The Local Yokels:

(Com)Post. Times. Caps.com.

The Neutral Observers:

NHL.com AP Wire.,

The Other Side:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution: nothing to play for, season done, contract discussions. Thrashers.com.

Final Thoughts:
  • I turned the game on when there was 15 minutes left in the third period, so I saw the most interesting/inspiring/important part of the game. While I was disappointed to be greeted with a 3-1 deficit, I can't say I was all that surprised.
  • And considering the way the Thrashers played in D.C. last week, I wasn't surprised to see the Caps pull off the comeback. The good news of course is that we were able to pull it off. The bad news is that we needed to do it against a team like Atlanta. We won't be as lucky in our last six games.
  • As for the playoffs, first of all, forget about Boston. The Bruins have two games in hand on us and would have to lose both of them in regulation in order for them to work to our advantage. They would then have to lose another game in order for us to pass them. It looks very much like we're going to come up just short.
  • I know Nicklas Backstrom is primarily a passer, but he has a good shot that he needs to use more often. I'm not asking him to give up passing in order to become a "shoot first, to Hades with questions" type of player. If he for instance passes 9 of every 10 opportunities right now, I'd like to see him lower that to passing 8.5 of every 10 opportunities. I think he'd create more chances for himself and his linemates that way.
  • Oh yeah, that A.O. guy... What else is there really to say? I know I've said "I'm glad he's on our side" already. On a side note, I recall some clown claiming to be on the inside of the Caps organization four years ago swearing up and down the street that the Caps management was trying to concoct a way to draft defenseman Cam Barker #1 instead of A.O. or Evgeni Malkin-Lindros. According to this bozo, the Caps were unwilling to draft A.O. because they knew he would cost them too much $$$$$ to keep him beyond his arbitration years and would have to trade him. They didn't want the PR hit down the road. As for Malkin-Lindros, they were scared off by his concussion history. They also felt that a defenseman would be better to use as a cornerstone. Now I never believed this for a second, but if on the off chance it were true, aren't you glad the Caps couldn't come up with a way to spin drafting Cam Barker over A.O.?
  • 76 down, 6 to go.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home