Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday Smorgasbord 1-20

  • We start off the Smorgasbord this week with a correction. Last week I implied that Olie Kolzig throwing people under the bus is one of the certainties of life. But that was unfair to Kolzig and is wrong. It should actually be; Death, Taxes, & Maryland laying a beatdown on #1 North Carolina. I wish I had recorded yesterday's game but because, like most of the country, I figured it was going to be all kinds of ugly and I didn't bother setting my DVD recorder. Gary Williams notched his seventh win over a #1 team (sixth at Maryland) and it raises all kinds of questions, notably, how did this team lose at home to Ohio, American, and on the road at Virginia Tech? Personally, I think it was fear of being humiliated on National TV.
  • I did see part of the game and I was sad to see that even though Dookie Vitale was not calling the game that Steve Lavin was trying to imitate him. His "he's a MEEP MEEPER, a Road Runner" comment was just cringe inducing. And here I thought that the Worldwide Leaders in Schlock's coverage was going to improve with Vitale being sidelined...
  • And speaking of the Worldwide Leaders in Schlock, buried in the Times yesterday was a note that they've fired their lead soccer announcing crew of Dave O'Brien and Eric Wynalda so maybe there's hope yet for the network. While Wynalda wasn't as bad as some Worldwide Leaders in Schlock announcers (Khornball for one), his constant clashing with Tommy Smyth (somebody who actually knows what he's talking about) was irritating. The reason there is hope now for the Worldwide Leaders in Schlock is that unlike their Monday Night Football crew shuffle, this time it was the announcer who knew what he was talking about getting the clown fired instead of the other way around.
  • So it is the Jints who stand in the way of New England's pursuit of perfect in Super Bowl XLII. It is New England's pursuit of only the second perfect season in NFL History that will make this Super Bowl interesting. Though this is the second time that I find myself conflicted about who the Jints are playing in the Super Bowl. The last time the Jints were in the Super Bowl, they played (and lost to) the Ratbirds and I never root for anything out of Bhawlmuher. Now they're playing the Patriots whom I've grown to despise even before their 52-7 blitzing of Redskins. I think I speak for a large number of people when say I'm tired of Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and the rest of the Boston Professional Sports franchises but I cannot under any circumstances bring myself to root for a team from New York.
  • I have to say that the longer the search for the next Redskins Head Coach goes, the worse the chances become for Gregg Williams, especially since Dan Snyder has only interviewed defensive coaches so far. You would think that having the support of not only the players on the team but Joe Gibbs that Williams would be a mortal lock and these "Rooney Rule interviews" would be mere formalities; especially since Williams interviewed with Snyder for four days. But it looks as if the sanity and stability that Gibbs brought to the franchise is being thrown out the window which is a sad thing.
  • This week the Caps are on the road tomorrow in Pittsburgh to face the Canadian Diving Team Captain, Secondary Assist Cindy Crosbyless Penguin Scum in a nationally televised game on Versus at 7:30 pm. The Caps then have another 7:30 pm faceoff Wednesday night in Toronto which touches off a home-and-home with the Maple Leafs in the Phone Booth on Thursday night at 7 pm. The Maryland Men are off until next Sunday when the annual Dook riots in College Park take place after the 6:30 pm game in the Cable Box on Fox SportsNet. The Maryland Women are also get a much needed break this week as they are off until Saturday when they head down to North Carolina to face the Tar Heels at 1 pm on Fox Sportsnet.
  • As always, please send all comments, corrections, criticisms, questions, suggestions, and My Coke Rewards codes to "capsnut" over at gmail dot com.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home