Sunday Smorgasbord 9-28
- The Nats season came to a merciful end today with an 8-3 loss in Philadelphia. So did the tenure of every Nationals coach except for Manny Acta and Randy St. Claire. Will there be more house cleaning? We don't know but we're ambivalent on the potential dismissal of Jim Bowden. We don't advocate his dismissal but we certainly wouldn't be upset if he were. The bigger problems though seem to be higher up the Nationals Chain of Command. We've noted here before, this was a franchise neglected for almost half a decade and we're seeing the results of that neglect right now. Whether or not one thinks that the Nats are heading in the right direction with the right leadership, the Nats are a very young team; because if you're going to be 100+ losses bad, it is better to be that way with a young team than with an old team.
- Stop the presses! The Caps are off to a 3-0 start in the preseason, for what little it is worth. It is still almost two weeks before the games count for real but the Caps are slowly whittling down their roster as they prepare for opening night. While we are not advocating losing, we remain concerned about the expectations game. Yes, the preseason means nothing whether you win or lose but only if injuries mount, but for most Caps fans, it is only building the belief that this is a team that can contend for the Cup this season.
- We admit that we were able to infiltrate the Caps Opening Video Shoot last Monday night and were glad when it was over because our feet were killing us after standing up for almost four hours. We're interested in how the final product turns out and have to chuckle at those who are already panning the scenes already out on the internet. We're mentioning this however not out of shameless self promotion (we doubt we're getting much screen time in this thing, we're not that lucky, however, if we do end up in it, no autographs) but because we were able to "meet" a couple members of the
Ice Girls...er..."Spirit Squad." One of the members was a guy and to his credit, he actually knew something not only about hockey in general and the Caps specifically but about the Phone Booth too. The young lady however was as clueless as everybody has feared and we plan to have some fun with her once our new camera arrives.
- Interesting day in the ACC yesterday as both ranked ACC teams lost at home to unranked opponents. The bigger of the two upsets was Wake Forest being sunk by Navy. However, we were equally impressed by Maryland's come from behind 20-17win over Klempsun. We admit that we thought it would be a long day for Maryland with the way that the Tiggers were running all over Maryland in the first half but a great gut check at halftime by the Terps pulled out the win. Even more impressive is that Darrius Heyward-Bey didn't catch a single pass in the game but still did damage. While we're not one of the nattering nabobs of negativism that infects the Maryland fanbase, we do agree that until Defensive Coordinator Chris Cosh figures out how to stop a spread offense, the Terps will have all kinds of close calls. Like Bowden, we don't advocate his removal (right now) but we don't oppose it either.
- Oh, and Dook beating UVA just makes us laugh. Hard.
- So how about them Redskins? Left for dead and out of the conversation in the NFC East after a season opening loss to the Jints in the Meadowlands, the Skins are now 3-1 after a 26-24 beating of the Cowgirls in Dallas and are very much in the logjam that is the NFC East. Like most Redskins wins, there are some causes for concern such as the ease with which the Cowgirls were able to score at the end of each half and the Redskins being kept out of the endzone on four straight drives into the red zone. However, nobody is asking Jim Zorn how he won his maiden voyage into Texas Stadium and the Redskins-Dallas Rivalry. We've never been sold on Tony Romo who was less than impressive again and we also wonder just how in the world Chris Samuels not only keeps his job with the Redskins but also makes the Pro Bowl.
- Yes, we do admit that the Redskins got away with some of the non-calls today, but it is Dallas and they've gotten more than their fair share of calls going their way over the years. Also, we understand why Troy Aikman is so far in the tank for the Cowgirls, but why is Joe Buck? We thought there was competition between the two to give the most effusive praise to the Cowgirls during the broadcast.
- All we can say about D.C. United now, especially after their 3-0 loss in Dallas, is that, like the Nats, their season can't end soon enough.
- Finally this week, the Caps continue their preseason schedule with games tomorrow in Joisey, Philly on Wednesday, and at home on Friday and Sunday against the Flyers and Bruins respectively. D.C. United faces Cruz Azul in the CONCACAF Champions league on Thursday night before hosting Chivas USA on Saturday night. The Terps travel to UVA on Saturday night for a 7 pm kickoff on ESPNU (available only in sportsbars around the country). The Skins travel up I-95 to face the Iggles at 1 pm.
- As always folks, please send all comments, criticisms, questions, suggestions, corrections, and wedding gift ideas to "capsnut" over at gmail dot com.
Labels: Sunday Smorgasbords